Saturday, August 09, 2014

One of those meeting things.

I have a hard time sitting through meetings without falling asleep. This is especially true when the speaker is not amplified and quiet, the lighting is subdued for a PowerPoint presentation, the room is warm, I am late, and therefore must sit in the back of the room. I think I hear about 40% of what is being said through my one good ear. I can pick up some things by listening to those around me. Sometimes not.

This week I am in the back of a HR meeting that fit the above criteria. Since I was already late to the meeting (with a good excuse), sitting in the back of a darkened and warm room, and having a hard time hearing, I took out the clipboard and a pencil and started staying awake.

The general theme of the discussion at this point was questions that you can not ask potential employees. The question of age came up. Someone in the audience said that it was probably not a good idea to mention the cliche, "you can't teach an old dog new tricks!". It got me thinking ..... and so I sketched the reason you can not teach an old dog new tricks. It's an attitude thing.



The drawing is done with black and white Prismacolor pencils on a mid-value, smooth card stock. It took about 45 minutes to get this far. It would have taken an hour but I was 15 minutes later after all.

No comments: